Monday, July 30, 2012

Babylon 2012.

This year the theme for RHCCC's summer day camp was Babylon: Daniel's Courage in Captivity.
As we prepped for camp I didn't really know my team very well. I was only close to one other person since we grew up with each other. Fear and my nerves just attacked me the night before. I wasn't sure what God had planned for me.


As the first day of camp came I kept reminding myself that it was all for God and no matter what kind of personalities were in my group, I had to deal with it. Just like all of my volunteering experiences, the first day was by far the most tiring. I wasn't used to waking up at 7:30am and getting home at 6pm. It was all so different. As the days went by I realized that the kids were getting more and more engaged in the story of Daniel. They asked questions that opened my mind and they showed me a new perspective on the story of Daniel.


I realized that one of the kids were very happy and always energetic. She was able to come and leave with a smile on her face no matter what happen. She taught me to always be thankful for what I'm given because God made everything for a reason and we should be happy that He's still by our sides.


Another camper was diagnosed with brain cancer about 2 years ago, when he was in JK. This caused him to go through a lot of chemotherapy and treatment for a whole year. Seeing him come to camp and still be able to have a smile on his face really touched my heart. The reason for that is because despite all the pain and troubles that God had hit him with he was still able to thank God and praise Him. One of the Bible points was "When you need help, God is with you." During one of the discussions we were asked to share about one time that God has helped us when we were in need of someone. And so, he said God helped him when he was sick and in pain. It was just amazing to see this young boy still have faith in God despite all the troubles. I realized that if this camper that's 6 can do it, I can too. 


After a long 2 weeks of day camp I realized that we should always be thankful because God is with us no matter what happens. These kids showed me how to be a better leader and Christian. I couldn't have asked for a better group of kids and team. 



No comments:

Post a Comment